JAKARTA - Egypt submitted a new proposal aimed at restoring the Gaza ceasefire deal, security sources told Reuters on Monday.

Palestinian health authorities say Israeli attacks killed 65 people in the past 24 hours.

The proposal, filed last week, follows an escalation of violence after Israel resumed air and ground operations against Hamas last Tuesday, which effectively ended a relatively calm two-month period.

Health officials say Israel has killed nearly 700 Palestinians since its re-attack, including 400 women and children.

Islamist group Hamas said several senior political and security officials had also died.

Egypt's plan calls on Hamas to release five Israeli hostages every week, with Israel implementing a second phase of the ceasefire after the first week, two security sources said.

Hamas is still holding 59 people hostage, with 24 of them estimated to be still alive.

Neither the US nor Hamas approved the proposal, security sources said, but Israel has yet to respond.

A Hamas official did not confirm the proposed offer, but told Reuters that "several proposals are being discussed with mediators to bridge the gap and continue negotiations to reach a common ground that will pave the way for the start of the second phase of the agreement."

The source said Egypt's proposal also included Israel's full withdrawal schedule from Gaza, backed by US guarantees, in exchange for the release of the hostages.

Hamas accused Israel of violating the provisions of the January ceasefire agreement but said it was willing to negotiate a ceasefire and was studying proposals from US President Donald Trump's special envoy, Steve Witkoff.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)