JAKARTA - The militant group Hezbollah warned Israel would violate the ceasefire agreement, if it remained in the southern Lebonon region after a 60-day deadline ended this week.

Hezbollah called on "all people, especially political authorities in Lebanon" to pressure countries that oversee the ceasefire agreement between Israel and Lebanon, to ensure Israel Defense Forces (IDF) withdraws at the end of the 60-day period since the start of the ceasefire, which falls on Sunday 26 January.

In a statement, Hezbollah said, if Israel remained in southern Lebanon after 60 days, it would "be considered a marked violation of the agreement and a violation of Lebanese sovereignty," as quoted by The Times of Israel January 24.

As previously reported, Israel requested an additional 30 days to complete the withdrawal of Israeli forces Defense Forces (IDF) from southern Lebanon, reports Hebrew media, a few days before the 60-day deadline set out in the ceasefire agreement with Hezbollah.

In recent weeks, Israel assesses Lebanese troops have been deployed too slowly across the region, resulting in delays in the withdrawal of IDF troops.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Haaretz daily reported the United States and France were discussing a requested extension with Israeli and Lebanese officials. The source assessed that France had no problem with granting the extension, as long as others agreed.

Meanwhile, on Thursday morning, the Army Radio reported that the administration of US President Donald Trump tended not to give a 30-day sentence to his predecessor, and wanted the full withdrawal to be completed on Sunday (according to the agreement).

Israeli ambassadors who will soon step down for the US remain telling the radio network that he believes Jerusalem and Washington will "reach understanding" into the matter and the extension will eventually be given.

This is in contrast to the position of President Joe Biden's Administration, which was previously said to be considering giving Israel an additional 30 days outside the 60-day withdrawal period set out in the ceasefire agreement.

Israel's Ambassador to the US, Michael Herzog, confirmed to the radio network that Israel was in talks with the US on the matter, and believed they would "EARn an agreement" and gain extra time.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)