JAKARTA - UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called on Russia and the United States to return to negotiations to reach an agreement on nuclear arms reduction and limitation amid the expiration of the New START agreement.
"The world today places hope on the Russian Federation and the United States to translate words into action," Guterres said in a statement quoted by ANTARA from Sputnik, Thursday, February 5.
"I urge both countries to immediately return to the negotiating table and agree on a replacement framework that restores verifiable limits, reduces risk, and strengthens our common security," he added.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Russia adheres to the position that the parties involved in the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) are no longer bound by any symmetrical obligations and declarations after the expiration of the agreement.
In September, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced that Russia was ready to continue to comply with the restrictions specified in the New START Treaty for one year after February 5, 2026.
He explained that the steps to comply with the restrictions in the agreement would be effective if the US did the same. Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump called Putin's proposal a good idea.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)