JAKARTA - Men's singles badminton player Jonatan Christie managed to beat Jia Heng Jason Teh from Singapore to secure a ticket to the second round of the 2026 India Open.

Jonatan, who is the third seed in this tournament, overcame his opponent in a straight two-game match 21-16 and 21-10 which lasted 40 minutes at the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex, New Delhi, on Wednesday, January 14, 2026.

"Praise God, I am grateful to be able to qualify for the second round," said Jonatan in a statement received from the PBSI Public Relations Department.

The latest victory makes Jonatan beautify the win-loss record to 4-0 against Jia Jeng. In the previous three clashes, he only fought one rubber game at the 2025 Indonesia Open.

Jonatan will next meet Yushi Tanaka. The Japanese men's singles made it to the second round by defeating Malaysia's Leong Jun Hao, who withdrew in the middle of the match due to injury.

"Finally, I lost (to Tanaka) in Australia, so hopefully tomorrow I can show a much better performance. Preparation can also be more optimal," said Jonatan.

Jonatan and Tanaka have a 1-1 win-loss record. Jonatan won their first clash two sets straight at the 2024 Kumamoto Masters and lost two sets straight at the 2025 Australian Open.

Previously on the first day, January 13, 2026, Indonesia had secured two tickets to the second round through the women's singles of Putri Kusuma Wardani and the men's doubles of Sabar Karyaman Gutama/Mohammad Reza Pahlevi Isfahani.

Indonesia also still adds tickets through the women's doubles Amallia Cahaya Pratiwi/Lanny Tria Mayasari, who will only play tonight.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)