JAKARTA - The Group of Seven (G7) agreed to explore the possibility of escorting ships in the Middle East after security conditions allowed in the midst of the conflict between the United States-Israel and Iran.
After an online meeting between the leaders of G7 member countries, the French government said the plan to escort the ship was aimed at restoring freedom of navigation in the region.
Meanwhile, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Minoru Kihara, in a press conference in Tokyo, Thursday, said the announcement was France's own decision as G7 chairman. Kihara did not elaborate further on the matter.
Japan is likely to face a difficult choice over whether to join the G7 countries' plan to escort the ships.
This is because Japan has long adhered to a policy of exclusive defense-oriented under the constitution that rejects war. Japan only allows limited use as a collective right of self-defense.
"Maintaining peace and stability in the Middle East is of great importance to Japan and we will continue to work closely with relevant countries, including G7 members, and make every diplomatic effort necessary to defuse the situation as quickly as possible," added Kiharaselaku, the main spokesman for the Japanese government.
Japan imports more than 90 percent of its oil from the Middle East, making it highly vulnerable to a possible closure of the Strait of Hormuz, which has blocked oil and gas shipments from suppliers in the region after the US and Israel attacked Iran late last month.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)