JAKARTA - US Vice President JD Vance said Russia and the United States are discussing the differences between a potential new arms control agreement and the previous New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START).

"The START Treaty is an important part of (the nuclear non-proliferation regime). This agreement will change compared to before, and it is part of the negotiations we are conducting with Russia," Vance told reporters before leaving Azerbaijan, reported by ANTARA from Sputnik, Wednesday, February 11.

"So, you know, we'll continue to talk to people. We'll continue to work to limit nuclear proliferation," he continued.

He said the spread of nuclear weapons to more countries would be the worst-case scenario for Washington and expressed confidence in achieving a positive outcome in the talks.

The Russia-US New START Treaty expired on February 5. US President Donald Trump said on that date that Washington should ask its nuclear experts to work on a new, better and more modern agreement that can last in the future.

Trump described the New START agreement as a deal that the US negotiated poorly.

Previously in September, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced that Russia was ready to continue to comply with the restrictions of the New START Treaty for one year after February 5, 2026.

He explained that the steps to comply with the treaty restrictions would be effective if the United States retaliated. The US did not issue an official response, so the nuclear pact expired.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)