JAKARTA - The Kremlin considers it too early to discuss whether Russia will be involved or not in the Gaza Peace Council, while Moscow is still waiting for an explanation from the United States.
Russian Presidential Spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Tuesday that Russia had not yet learned all the details of the Gaza Peace Council initiative and hoped to receive answers to its questions during a meeting with the US side.
"It's still too early to say this," Peskov said at a press conference, responding to a question about whether Russia and Belarus would be represented in the Gaza Peace Council, given that Moscow and Minsk have received invitations from the US to join this structure, TASS reported (21/1).
"We don't know all the details of this initiative in the council, whether it only concerns Gaza or includes a broader context," he explained.
"There have been many questions about this initiative so far, and we hope to receive answers during contacts with the Americans," Peskov said.
Previously, a number of heads of state were reported to have received invitations to join the council, including Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Peskov earlier confirmed that President Putin had received an invitation to join the Peace Council and was considering this possibility.
US President Donald Trump later confirmed that he had invited President Putin to join the council he led.
It is known that President Trump last week announced the formation of the Gaza Strip Peace Council, which he headed in a post on Truth Social, as part of peace efforts in the Palestinian enclave.
The White House has contacted various figures around the world to sit in what is called the "Peace Council", which is headed by the US President, as reported by Al Arabiya from Reuters.
A number of world leaders have reportedly accepted the US's offer to join the council, which is expected to begin work during the second phase of the peace plan.
The council is expected to start working in the second phase of a peace plan agreed in October 2025 by Israel and the Palestinian movement Hamas through mediation by Egypt, Qatar, the US and Turkey.
Prior to the announcement of the formation of this council, US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff last week announced the start of the second phase of the ceasefire in Gaza with a focus on demilitarization, the formation of a technocratic government for transition and reconstruction.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)