JAKARTA - US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) agreed to draw up a scenario regarding the Strait of Hormuz if an agreement with Iran was not reached.

"We have to start thinking about it, I raised this point today. I got a lot of nods of approval. We have to have a plan B if someone starts shooting," Rubio said, quoted by ANTARA from Sputnik, Saturday, May 23.

Earlier that day, Rubio attended a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Sweden.

On April 1, US President Donald Trump said he was seriously considering withdrawing the US from NATO after allies refused to join the US and Israeli war against Iran.

Trump no longer views Europe as a reliable defense partner after European countries rejected his call to send warships to the strategic waterway.

Then, on April 9, NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte said some members of the alliance were "a little slow" in supporting the US military campaign against Iran, because they had not received prior notification from Trump.

However, Rutte added that almost all US allies have now provided the support Washington has asked for.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)