JAKARTA - United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio is optimistic that the United Nations Security Council will complete a resolution regarding the mandate of the International Stabilization Forces (ISF) in the Gaza Strip, Palestine.
Foreign Minister Rubio's statement came after Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said the new draft resolution was being drafted by officials in New York, United States.
"We are optimistic that this will happen," Foreign Minister Rubio said, launching The National November 13.
"I think we are making good progress in terms of resolution language and hopefully we will follow up soon," he said.
As previously reported, the Egyptian Foreign Minister in a press statement with Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan in Ankara said a new resolution was being discussed, emphasizing the importance of clarity of mandates and details to protect the Palestinian people.
"In New York, a new draft is being prepared," said Foreign Minister Abdelatty.
"Certain units will be formed and their mandate needs to be clearly explained," he continued, referring to the security forces.
"We need to perfect this detail to protect the rights of the Palestinian people," said the Egyptian Foreign Minister.
However, Foreign Minister Abdelatty did not specify whether the new draft resolution was entirely different from the previously circulated version by the US.
Last week, the US circulated its first draft UN DK resolution which would pass a two-year mandate for the transitional government in Gaza and international forces to oversee security and demilitarization.
Draft was distributed to 10 selected members of the UN Security Council, as well as regional partners such as the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Qatar and Turkey.
SEE ALSO:
US President Donald Trump launched a 20-point ceasefire plan in September aimed at ending the war in Gaza.
The first phase helped realize a ceasefire in the war-torn enclave on October 10, and the release of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners.
The second phase focuses on the deployment of Hamas weapons and future Gaza's rule, crucial points that caused previous ceasefire negotiations to fail.
The plan also proposes the formation of an International Stabilization Forces to help maintain a ceasefire and security in the enclave. The troop mandate will be given through a vote on the UN Security Council.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)