Neymar suffered a calf injury that kept him out of Santos' match, but he is expected to be ready next week for Brazil's World Cup qualifiers.
Santos' medical director, Rodrigo Zogaib, confirmed on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, local time, that Neymar suffered a 2-millimeter edema that caused swelling in his right calf.
Despite the setback, Zogaib said the injury would not prevent the star striker from being fit by May 27, 2026, when he is scheduled to begin preparations with Brazil for the 2026 World Cup.
"Neymar suffered a mild calf injury, edema. However, according to our plans, his progress will allow him to be fit next week when he will join the Brazilian National Team," Zogaib said.
Neymar has been receiving treatment at the Rei Pele Santos Training Center with his personal staff and is being closely monitored by doctors from the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF).
Neymar's injury confirmation comes just two days after he was included by Carlo Ancelotti in Brazil's final 26-man list for the tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico, which marked his fourth World Cup appearance.
Launching ESPN, the incident caused concern among Ancelotti's coaching staff a few hours before the announcement of the final player list.
They are concerned Neymar's injury could alter his original training schedule and his availability for the friendly against Panama on May 31, 2026.
The injury was diagnosed after the 0-3 home defeat against Coritiba on Sunday, May 17, 2026.
Neymar was replaced in the second half of the match after receiving treatment for a calf problem, but he did not realise he had been replaced and returned to the pitch.
The situation sparked a heated argument with the referee over what he considered to be an error on the substitution board.
Santos did not include their captain in the Copa Sudamericana match which ended in a 2-2 draw against San Lorenzo on Thursday, May 21, 2025 WIB.
He is also expected to miss Brazil's league match against Gremio on Sunday, May 24, 2026 WIB, and the last match of the Sudamericana group stage against Deportivo Cuenca on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 WIB.
Meanwhile, the last match for the former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain striker with Brazil was in October 2023.
Ancelotti has left Neymar out of all previous call-ups, repeatedly stressing that he will only pick players who are 100 percent physically fit.
Brazil will face Morocco, Haiti, and Scotland in Group C of the 2026 World Cup.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)