Neymar was included in Brazil's squad for the 2026 World Cup on Monday, May 18, 2026, local time, an announcement that many local analysts and former soccer players considered impossible just days ago.

Neymar, 34, is Brazil's all-time top scorer with 79 goals and will be appearing in his fourth World Cup. The Santos striker has struggled to return to his best physical condition since suffering a left ACL injury in October 2023.

"He has improved his fitness. He will be an important player at this World Cup," Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti said at a news conference in Rio de Janeiro.

The coach added that he preferred experienced players, including Neymar, for some positions in his squad.

"He has experience in this kind of tournament and is loved by our team. He can create a better environment in this team."

"We chose Neymar not because we thought he would be a good substitute. We chose Neymar because we believe he can help the team, whether it's for one minute, five minutes, 90 minutes, or even taking a penalty," said Ancelotti.

Not long before the squad announcement, Neymar changed the caption on Instagram in a way that revealed something. Previously, he only mentioned Santos as the club where he currently plays, but he added Brazil.

This clearly caught the attention of Ancelotti, who took over the post in May 2025, has not called Neymar to announce the final squad for the 2026 World Cup.

The Brazilian squad, which consists of 26 players, also features its main players in recent years, such as Vinicius Junior and Raphinha.

Lyon's Endrick and Bournemouth's Rayan earned their first call-ups to the World Cup, winning the competition for the last striker position beating Chelsea's Joao Pedro and Real Betis' Antony.

Ancelotti has had a difficult time in Brazil so far with many injured players missing from his squad. Rodrygo and Estevao are the players he will miss the most.

"It's very difficult to choose 26 players because the competition in this country is very high. Some players who are with us will not be on the list. I'm very sorry and I want to thank them for their efforts."

"We believe this is a squad capable of playing quality football for the Brazilian National Team, with collective spirit, attitude, and incredible concentration. I know this is not a perfect list, but there is no perfect team," said Ancelotti.

Ancelotti extended his contract with the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) last week until the 2030 World Cup.

"We have the best coach in the world with us. We have to make the most of it. One year of work is not enough."

"I deliberately renewed his contract before the 2026 World Cup, regardless of the result, because I believe he has made many contributions to Brazilian football," said CBF President Samir Xaud.

Brazil open their 2026 World Cup campaign against Morocco in New Jersey on June 13, 2026, followed by matches against Haiti and Scotland in Group C.

Brazil squad at the 2026 World Cup

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool), Ederson (Fenerbahce), Weverton (Gremio)

Defenders: Alex Sandro, Danilo, Leo Pereira (Flamengo), Bremer (Juventus), Ibanez (Al-Ahli), Wesley (Roma), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Gabriel Magalhaes (Arsenal), Douglas Santos (Zenit St. Petersburg)

Midfielders: Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle), Casemiro (Manchester United), Danilo (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al-Ittihad), Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo)

Attackers: Endrick (Lyon), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Igor Thiago (Brentford), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United), Raphinha (Barcelona), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid), Luiz Henrique (Zenit St. Petersburg), Neymar (Santos), Rayan (Bournemouth)


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)