JAKARTA - Male singles badminton player Anthony Sinisuka Ginting managed to enter the main round of the 2026 Daihatsu Indonesia Masters after defeating Kantaphon Wangcharoen from Thailand.
Ginting, who took a long break from tournaments due to health problems in the middle of last season, secured his ticket after fighting in a two-game match that ended 21-12 and 21-7 on Tuesday, January 20, 2026.
"Praise God and be grateful. I can play today also because of God's blessing because it was from the initial list of the match that did not enter and yesterday I was just told to play," said Ginting after the match.
Ginting, who struggled with injuries last year and has not found his best form since returning, was initially not on the list because his plan was to only play in Super 300-level tournaments.
The badminton player from SGS PLN Bandung was initially prepared for the Thailand Masters 2026 next week, a tournament that was supposed to be a preparation for appearing at the Badminton Asia Team Championship or Badminton Asia Team Championship (BATC) 2026 at the beginning of next month.
"Seeing 2025 is not easy for me. There are many tests and it is not smooth. So, when switching to 2026, I tried to reflect on what last year was like. Yes, the path to be taken from the beginning again," said Ginting.
The 29-year-old badminton player is one of four Indonesian representatives who fought from the qualifying round. The other three names are Yohanes Saut Marcellyno, Muhamad Yusuf, and Prahdiska Bagas Shujiwo.
Indonesia as a whole sent 25 representatives to the 2026 Indonesia Masters. Of that number, as many as seven of them had to fight from the qualifying round.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)