JAKARTA - Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said negotiations are underway to extend the ceasefire with Israel that began since April 17.

"Talks are underway to extend the period of the ceasefire," Aoun said in a meeting with a parliamentary committee, Wednesday, April 22, reported by ANTARA from Anadolu.

He stressed that his party would spare no effort to end the crisis situation facing Lebanon.

Aoun added that all talks aimed to maintain Lebanon's sovereignty over all its territory.

He said the upcoming negotiations would focus on a full cessation of Israeli attacks, the withdrawal of troops from Lebanese territory, the repatriation of prisoners, the deployment of troops to international borders, and the reconstruction of war-affected areas.

Previously, the Israeli ambassador and the Lebanese ambassador met in Washington on April 14 - the first meeting in 43 years - and agreed to begin direct peace talks.

According to Israel's Channel 15, the second round of talks will take place on Thursday in Washington.

Since March 2, Israeli attacks in Lebanon have killed about 2,300 people, injured more than 7,500, and displaced more than 1 million people, according to official data.

US President Donald Trump earlier announced a 10-day ceasefire in Lebanon starting April 17.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)