Israel's military said Hezbollah fired rockets at Israeli forces in southern Lebanon on Tuesday, accusing the Iran-backed group of violating a ceasefire ahead of US-mediated talks between the Israeli and Lebanese governments this week.
The Israeli military said it had attacked a rocket launcher used to fire the rocket, Al Arabiya reported from Reuters (22/4).
There was no immediate comment from Hezbollah, which says it has a "right to fight" Israeli forces occupying southern Lebanon.
A 10-day ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon's Hezbollah, mediated by Washington, came into effect last Thursday, but Israeli forces remain stationed in a 5-10 km deep Lebanese land belt along the border.
Israel says it aims to create a buffer zone to protect northern Israel from Hezbollah attacks.
Meanwhile, the US is scheduled to host an ambassador-level meeting between Israel and Lebanon on Thursday. Israel was dragged into the war on March 2 when Hezbollah fired to support Tehran in the regional conflict.
Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, Lebanon's most senior Shiite statesman and a Hezbollah ally, earlier told the al-Joumhouria newspaper that Israeli forces occupying parts of the south would face resistance if they did not withdraw.
"If Israel "defends its occupation, whether in terms of territory, position, or by drawing a yellow line, they will smell the smell of resistance every day," Berri said.
The Israeli military and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu both referred to Israel's demarcation line in Lebanon as the "Yellow Line" last week, the same term Israel uses for its demarcation line in Gaza.
Israeli officials have since refrained from describing it with that term, instead referring to it as a "front defense line" marked in red on a military map published Sunday, covering a "naval front defense area" stretching from the Lebanese coast to the sea.
The Israeli military itself has carried out destruction in southern villages since the ceasefire, saying it was acting against infrastructure planted by Hezbollah in civilian areas.
The Lebanese government's National News Agency (NNA) on Tuesday reported new Israeli explosions in at least eight villages. NNA also reported Israeli artillery fire in several areas.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)