JAKARTA - US President Donald Trump said almost all countries and companies want to maintain the tariff agreement they had made before the US Supreme Court's decision on tariffs was issued.
Trump delivered the remarks in the US President's annual address to Congress at the Capitol Building, Washington, DC, which was monitored online from Jakarta on Wednesday.
"Knowing the legal power that I, as President, have to make a new deal could be much worse for them, therefore, they will continue to work on the same successful path that we negotiated before the unfortunate involvement of the Supreme Court," Trump said.
On February 20, the US Supreme Court ruled that US President Donald Trump was not authorized to impose global tariffs under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).
Trump then announced a "global import tariff" of 10 percent shortly after the US Supreme Court's decision came out.
On February 21, President Prabowo Subianto assessed that the 10 percent tariff was beneficial for Indonesia, while stating that Indonesia was ready to face all possibilities.
The Indonesian government ensures that trade agreements between Indonesia and the US continue to proceed according to the agreed mechanism, even though there is a recent ruling from the US Supreme Court regarding Trump's tariff policy.
Previously, on February 19, Indonesia and the US had agreed to a reciprocal trade agreement during a meeting between President Prabowo Subianto and US President Donald Trump in Washington, DC.
The agreement is contained in the document Agreement on Reciprocal Trade (ART) which has been officially signed by the two heads of state.
In general, the US will still impose a reciprocal tariff of 19 percent on Indonesian imported products. However, the US government provides special exemptions for certain products that have been identified in the agreement.
According to Al Jazeera, South Korea has issued a government statement that it will review the trade agreement and make a decision in the national interest.
In line with South Korea, Mexico said it would carefully review the US Supreme Court's decision to assess its scope and the extent to which Mexico might be affected.
Meanwhile, Canada welcomed the US Supreme Court's decision but indicated that there were still some challenges to be faced.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)