KENDARI - The Indonesian Migrant Worker Protection Service (BP3MI) for Southeast Sulawesi (Sultra) said that the migrant worker from Konawe Eka Arwati who was allegedly abused by his employer in Oman, had been secured.

Head of BP3MI Sultra La Ode Askar said that currently the latest information obtained by his team is that the migrant workers who are suspected of being subjected to persecution have left their employer's house.

"The latest information is that PMI (Eka Arwati) is currently at the house of one of the PMI in Oman," Askar said when contacted in Kendari, Antara, Tuesday, November 20.

He said that for follow-up after the temporary relocation of the victim, his party was still coordinating so that Eka Arwati could be immediately taken to the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia (KJRI) in Oman.

"Today he will be taken to the Indonesian Consulate General for further processing," he said.

In addition, BP3MI also suspects that the victim's work in Oman contains elements of the Crime of Trafficking in Persons (TPPO) against Indonesian Migrant Workers (PMI). The suspected TPPO is based on the moratorium policy on the placement of domestic workers in the Middle East region which has been in effect since the end of 2015.

"If he works in the household, we make sure that his visa is not a work visa because since the end of 2015 the country has banned placement in the Middle East for the informal sector. With the moratorium, we strongly suspect that there is an element of TPPO in it," said Askar.

He explained that it was likely that the migrant workers were sent using a pilgrimage or visit visa, not an official work visa that was recorded in the Sisko P2MI system.

Askar revealed that his party was currently verifying the identity to ensure the departure route in question. If it is proven to have departed in the middle of the moratorium, then the dispatch of the workforce is considered illegal and meets the indications of TPPO.

"We are checking through the Indonesian Migrant Worker Protection Ministry application system to see if he is registered or not. If he is not registered, then it is confirmed that he is using a non-working visa," he said.

Even so, Askar explained that BP3MI Sultra will also provide education and assistance for the family to report the case to the police after all supporting documents have been collected.

The alleged abuse of migrant workers from Konawe surfaced when the victim uploaded a video confessing that he was forced to work by his employer even though he was sick.

In fact, the victim also received persecution and harassment by his employer.

"I have been working for three months, and I have been sick for two months, and my employer forced me to work, I was beaten to work in a sick state, to harass me. I was threatened if I spoke he would punish me. I just hope I can go home safely," said the victim in his video which went viral on social media.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)