JAKARTA - Indonesian Foreign Minister Sugiono expressed confidence in Peru's ability to provide the best protection for Indonesian citizens, during a phone call with Foreign Minister Elmer Schialer, as posted on social media @Menlu_RI.
"Spoke with Foreign Minister Elmer Schialer to convey Indonesia's request for a thorough investigation into the departure of our colleague, Zetro Leonardo Purba," Foreign Minister Sugiono tweeted on social media, as quoted on Tuesday, September 2.
"We trust Peru will ensure the best protection for embassy staff, their families, and our citizens in Peru," he continued.
As previously reported, the Indonesian Foreign Minister expressed his deep condolences for the death of Zetro Leonardo Purba, the Young Chancellor of the Indonesian Embassy in Lima, who was shot by an unknown assailant.
Spoke with FM Elmer Schialer of Peru @CancilleriaPeru to convey 🇮🇩’s request for a thorough investigation regarding the passing of our colleague, Mr.Zetro Leonardo Purba @kbrilima. We trust Peru will ensure the highest protection for our embassy staff, families, & citizens in 🇵🇪 pic.twitter.com/PxG5PJ1th4
— Menteri Luar Negeri Republik Indonesia (@Menlu_RI) September 2, 2025
An Indonesian diplomat was reportedly shot dead in the Lince District of Lima, Peru, by three suspects outside his residence on Monday evening local time, as reported by Peru21.
The bloody incident occurred on César Vallejo Street, Block 3, Lince District. After the attack, the diplomat was taken to a local clinic, where his death was confirmed.
"This is the first case of hired killing we have seen this year in this district. The motive behind the killing is not yet known, but the possibility of revenge is not ruled out. The homicide division and the Jesús María Police Department (DEPINCRI) are conducting an investigation," Major Daniel Guivar of the Peruvian Police told Exitosa.
According to the police, the perpetrators are suspected to be foreign nationals, based on the physical characteristics they were able to confirm.
Foreign Minister Sugiono stated that he had instructed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Peruvian Police to thoroughly investigate this case.
In a separate post on X, the Peruvian Police expressed their condolences for the death of the Indonesian diplomat and said they were rushing to investigate the case.
"We mourn the murder of a diplomatic employee of the Indonesian Embassy in the Lince District of Lima. We immediately activated the Siege Plan and launched an investigation to identify and arrest those responsible," the Peruvian National Police tweeted.
#LoÚltimo 🚨 | La @PoliciaPeru lamenta el asesinato de un trabajador diplomático de la embajada de Indonesia en el distrito de Lince, Lima.
Activamos inmediatamente el plan Cerco e iniciamos las investigaciones para identificar y capturar a los responsables. #PolicíasEnAcción pic.twitter.com/OucPS1SsUr
— Policía Nacional del Perú (@PoliciaPeru) September 2, 2025
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)