JAKARTA - UN Secretary-General António Guterres stressed the need for full implementation of the ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip.
Speaking at a news conference on Thursday, Guterres said the current ceasefire in Gaza was described as a reduction in fire without a total cessation.
He stressed the need to move to the second phase, which will include the full withdrawal of Israeli occupation forces and pave the way for the implementation of the two-state solution, reported WAFA (30/1).
The Secretary-General stressed that the primary responsibility for international peace and security lies with the UN Security Council, noting that it is the only body authorized to take decisions that are binding on all parties and to authorize the use of force in accordance with international law.
Guterres also reiterated his strong opposition to all Israeli efforts to undermine the two-state solution, particularly in the West Bank, through settlement construction, demolition, forced displacement, and colonial violence.
He stressed the need to stop these practices and create conditions that would allow Gaza and the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, to form a Palestinian State in the future.
Since the latest conflict broke out in Gaza on October 7, 2023, the number of Palestinian deaths has reached 71,667, while the number of injured has reached 171,434.
Medical sources said that since the ceasefire was imposed on October 11 last year, it has reached 492, with 1,356 people injured, while 715 bodies have been found.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)