JAKARTA - Russian Foreign Minister (Menlu) Sergei Lavrov accused Western countries of trying to block peace negotiations to end the Ukrainian conflict after a series of diplomatic activity appeared to have stalled.
US President Donald Trump has been fighting for a bilateral meeting between Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Russian President Vladimir Putin, but both sides blame each other and don't want the negotiations to take place.
"They are just looking for excuses to block negotiations," Lavrov said in an interview with state TV station Rossiya broadcast on Telegram on Sunday, August 24, quoted by AFP.
Lavrov also criticized Zelensky for being stubborn in insisting on setting terms for meeting Putin.
Lavrov also accused Ukrainian authorities of trying to interfere with the process set by Putin and Trump, which has yielded excellent results.
"We hope these efforts will be thwarted," he added.
On Friday 22 August, Lavrov said there would be no meeting between Putin-Zelensky in the near future.
Earlier this week, Zelensky said Russia was trying to avoid gatherings.
Zelensky has set conditions for meeting Putin, if his allies agree to security guarantees for Ukraine to prevent Russian attacks in the future after the approval of the end of the war.
SEE ALSO:
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)