JAKARTA - The Constitutional Court decided to disqualify the candidate for deputy regent (cawabup) of Pasaman, West Sumatra, Anggit Kurniawan Nasution because he was proven dishonest about his status as a former convict in a fraud case.
The Constitutional Court in this case granted part of the petition submitted by the Candidate Pair for Regent and Deputy Regent of Pasaman Number 2 Mara Ondak and Desrizal. The case is registered with Number 02/PHPU.BUP-XXIII/2025.
"Declaring the disqualification of Anggit Kurniawan Nasution as a candidate for deputy regent of Pasaman in the General Election of the Regent and Deputy Regent of Pasaman in 2024," said Chief Justice of the Constitutional Court Suhartoyo reading the verdict at Building I of the Constitutional Court, Jakarta, as reported by Antara, Monday, February 24.
In considering the decision, the Constitutional Court reiterated that the former convict who was sentenced to under 5 years in prison did not need to wait for a 5-year gap to run for the head or deputy regional head.
However, the person concerned remains obliged to openly and honestly announce his background as a former convict, as evidenced by a certificate from the editor or media leadership.
Based on the decision of the South Jakarta District Court Number 293/Pid.B/2022/PN.Jkt.Sel on July 26, 2022, Anggit Kurniawan Nasution was apparently sentenced to 2 months and 24 days in a criminal case of fraud.
This means that Anggit has been sentenced to under 5 years in prison. Therefore, Anggit does not have to wait 5 years apart, but is required to honestly announce his background to the public.
According to the Court, Anggit was actually able to convey to the Pasaman Regency KPU that he had been convicted. However, Anggit is considered to prefer to hide this fact.
The reason is, Anggit still has a police records certificate (SKCK) that he has never committed a disgraceful act and received a certificate from the South Jakarta District Court explaining that he was never a convict.
Anggit, according to the Constitutional Court, should have been able to reject the SKCK and object to the certificate never being convicted. Moreover, at that time, there was still a time span for improving the completeness of the nomination requirements document.
"So there is no reason for the candidate for deputy regent of Anggit Kurniawan Nasution to cover up his background as a former convict to the Respondent (KPU Pasaman Regency) or voter," said Suhartoyo.
Based on these legal considerations, the Court stated that Anggit's candidacy as a candidate for deputy regent of Pasaman in 2024 did not meet the requirements and legal defects, so he reasoned to be disqualified.
The Constitutional Court also ordered the Pasaman Regency KPU as the Respondent to re-vote (PSU) no later than 60 days after the decision was pronounced, without including Anggit.
Because only Anggit was disqualified, his assistant regent candidate on behalf of Welly Suhery still had the right to participate in the PSU. Regarding Anggit's replacement, the Constitutional Court completely handed over to the supporting party without changing the serial number, namely serial number 1.
SEE ALSO:
In addition, the Constitutional Court also ordered the Pasaman Regency KPU to hold one campaign or open debate for each candidate pair to convey the vision, mission, and program before the PSU is implemented.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)