JAKARTA - Two weeks after the dispute over funding for the 2026 World Cup security became public, FIFA did not provide clarity to Foxborough officials, United States, about the source of the money during a tense city meeting on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, local time.
In a wood-panelled room on the first floor of the Foxborough Town Hall, Mike Loynd - President of the 2026 World Cup Organizing Committee for the Boston Region - faced repeated questions about who would pay the nearly $8 million the city is estimated to need for public safety during the seven 2026 World Cup matches at the New England Patriots' home.
"To be honest, I'm confused why you're sitting in front of me now. We still don't know where this money came from," said Council Member Mark Elfman.
Foxborough City Manager Paige Duncan told ESPN earlier this month that the city is committed to hosting the world's largest soccer tournament this summer.
However, he needs clarification on funding by mid-March 2026 in order to be able to grant the FIFA license required to host the event. Two weeks later, the city still did not seem to have an answer.
In one exchange, newly elected Council Chairman Bill Yukna asked Loynd, "Is FIFA, who will be the license holder, ultimately responsible if nothing else materializes?"
"That's a broad question," Loynd replied.
"Actually no," said Elfman.
Loynd said the organizing committee is responsible for public safety under the hosting agreement, but did not provide clarity on funding.
Kevin Clark, the director of operations for the 2026 World Cup venues, told city officials he could only discuss operational questions.
"The 2026 World Cup is there to work operationally with the stadium. Regarding the financial agreement, we have to be subject to the stadium and the host city."
"We are not in a position to comment on financial requirements," Clark said.
The federal government has allocated $625 million to 11 U.S. host cities to improve security and preparedness, but it is unclear how much Foxborough will receive.
Meanwhile, city officials said they would not spend taxpayer money on a promise that Foxborough would be repaid. Instead, they want organizers to guarantee the funds in advance.
Deputy Mayor-elect Stephanie McGowan said the city would not issue a license to FIFA until it received an answer.
"We are not ready to issue this license unless everything is ready. I will tell you, this council will not issue this license," he said.
Duncan previously told ESPN that the $8 million would cover the Foxborough police, which handles law enforcement in and around Gillette Stadium.
The stadium is owned by The Kraft Group, led by Patriots owner Robert Kraft, but the city owns the land the stadium sits on and granted Kraft the same license for NFL games that FIFA is now asking for.
McGowan said Tuesday night that Foxborough required the Kraft Group to provide funds for projects, and expects the 2026 World Cup organizers to do the same.
"How can we expect this for someone who came to our city for 39 days, filed all these demands, and then you will leave."
"Then, after the 2026 World Cup in Boston was canceled, who will we challenge?" he said.
Yukna said that although Kraft Group has stated that they are not responsible for funding, they are discussing with the city the possibility of providing money and getting reimbursement from federal grants. However, he said that it would only cover a portion of the money.
Towards the end of the meeting, Yukna said that Foxborough wanted to be a good partner and host a successful tournament.
"We want nothing but to be able to sign an agreement and know that when the event starts, our problem is not about money," he said.
Police Chief Michael Grace and Foxborough Fire Chief spoke with FIFA officials in the City Hall lobby after the meeting. However, they declined to comment on the content of the conversation.
When approached in the parking lot, Clark also declined to comment.
"I have to refer you to FIFA," he said under the light of a streetlight.
Then, Loynd answered questions from a local TV camera before he left. He was asked about the details of the federal funds.
"Soon," he said.
Gillette Stadium is scheduled to host the first match of the 2026 World Cup on June 13, 2026, when Scotland takes on Haiti.
The stadium is also scheduled to host two knockout matches, including the quarterfinals on July 9, 2026.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)