JAKARTA - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told US President Donald Trump in a phone call on Wednesday that he welcomed the extension of the ceasefire between the US and Iran, adding that he believed the disputed issues between the two parties could be resolved, according to the Turkish Presidency.

Turkey, a NATO member bordering Iran, has been in close contact with Washington, Tehran, and Pakistani mediators to find a way out of the war.

Previously, Turkey had called for an end to the conflict and conveyed messages between the two parties.

"During the talks, our President expressed his view that the decision to extend the ceasefire in the conflict zone in our region was a positive development (and) he believed that a reasonable solution to the disputed issue was possible," the Turkish Presidency said in a statement, launching Al Arabiya and Reuters (21/5).

President Erdogan called the restored stability in Syria a "significant victory" for the region, adding that he urged measures to prevent the situation in Lebanon from deteriorating amid the ongoing fighting between Israel and Hezbollah.

President Erdogan also told President Trump that preparations for the NATO summit, which will be held in Ankara in July, are continuing and Turkey is working to make the meeting "successful in every aspect," the presidency said.

The two also discussed bilateral relations, he added.

Meanwhile, President Trump said he had a "very good" phone call with President Erdogan, adding that the two had a very good relationship.

President Trump previously said negotiations with Iran were "in the final stages," while warning of further attacks unless Tehran agreed to a peace deal.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)