JAKARTA - The supreme commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) said on Tuesday he was "considering" how the alliance could help in the Strait of Hormuz, but no formal planning had begun.

"Do I think about it? Of course. But there is no planning until a political decision is made," NATO's Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, General Alexus Grynkewich, told reporters, launching Al Arabiya from AFP (20/5).

US President Donald Trump is known to have criticized Washington's European allies in NATO for their response to the war against Iran, which has led to the closure of the important waterway.

European countries led by Britain and France have been working hard to put together a possible plan on how they could help keep the strait open if war ends.

So far the US-led NATO alliance has avoided direct involvement in the conflict - despite pressure from President Trump.

"Every country is considering their response, with many countries, including Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom, sending ships to the region," said General Grynkewich, who comes from the United States Air Force.

"We all agree that it is in our interest to ensure freedom of navigation in international waters," he said.

European diplomats at NATO have played down the prospect of the alliance playing a major role in the strait given internal divisions.

But they said the alliance could be involved in some way in any operation led by France or Britain if such an operation materialized.

It is known that the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, which before the conflict broke out on February 28, 2026 was passed through as global oil and gas traffic, has had a major impact on global energy prices and has begun to have an impact on the economy in Europe.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)