JAKARTA - The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) is investigating a case of alleged corruption in the Hajj quota at the Ministry of Religion (Kemenag). The investigation team summoned the former Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture, Muhadjir Effendy, to be questioned as a witness, Monday, May 18.
Muhadjir was examined in his capacity as Interim Minister of Religion (Menag) in 2022, replacing Yaqut Cholil Qoumas who was then leaving for Saudi Arabia.
KPK spokesman Budi Prasetyo revealed that the examination of Muhadjir was focused on determining additional quotas and the implementation of the 2023-2024 Hajj period.
"Investigators asked the witness for an explanation regarding his assignment as Interim Minister of Religion in 2022 and regarding the additional quota in 2022," Budi said in a written statement, quoted Tuesday, May 19.
After undergoing an examination for almost two hours at the KPK's Red and White Building, Kuningan Persada, South Jakarta, Muhadjir, who is currently serving as the President's Special Advisor for Hajj Affairs, spoke up.
He admitted that he had actually applied for a rescheduling. However, in order to avoid wild speculation from the public who thought he was absent, Muhadjir chose to directly visit the investigators in the afternoon.
"Yes, I actually have applied for a postponement. But because there was news from you all (media), it was not good. Why did I postpone, there will be an impression that I am avoiding or what. Yes, I ask for time to meet now," said Muhadjir in front of the media crew at around 19.44 WIB.
However, Muhadjir was reluctant to disclose in detail the material questions from investigators. He argued that his role at that time was very short.
"Oh not much (questions). I'm only Ad Interim for 20 days, from June 30 to July 19. There's not much to do," he said.
The corruption case being investigated by the anti-corruption agency began with the allocation of 20,000 additional Hajj quotas from the Saudi Arabian Government for Indonesia in the 2023-2024 period. This quota quota is suspected of being manipulated and become a bancan for certain individuals.
The KPK has so far named two new suspects from the private sector who are suspected of bribing officials from the Ministry of Religion in order to get special quota shares. The first suspect is Ismail Adhan as the Director of Operations of Maktour Travel. He is suspected of depositing a bribe of 30 thousand US dollars to Ishfah Abidal Azis who is a former Stafsus Menag Yaqut.
Not only that, Ismail also gave Abdul Latief as the Director General of PHU Kemenag the value of 5,000 US dollars and 16,000 Saudi riyals. This conspiracy made Maktour successfully reap an illegal profit of IDR 27.8 billion in 2024.
Meanwhile, the second suspect, Asrul Azis Taba as the former General Chairman of Kesthuri, allegedly poured a fantastic bribe of 406 thousand US dollars. Through the provision of the kakap, eight Special Haji Organizers (PIHK) under the auspices of Kesthuri also reaped illegal profits up to Rp. 40.8 billion.
Before arresting the two travel bosses, the KPK had previously ensnared the former Minister of Religion Yaqut Cholil Qoumas and staff in particular, Ishfah Abidal Azis, as the main suspects in the whirlpool of this case.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)