JAKARTA - Turkey for the second time blocked a convoy of vehicles carrying humanitarian aid to Kobani, a city in Syria that is mostly inhabited by the Kurdish tribe.
Local NGOs told AFP on Wednesday 4 February about the prevention carried out by the Turkish authorities.
As Syrian soldiers and Kurdish forces clashed in Syria, the city of Kobani has been flooded by people trying to flee the hostilities.
Last week, Turkish authorities on the Turkish-Syrian border also prevented a convoy of 25 trucks carrying humanitarian aid supplies intended for residents in Kobani.
The convoy, which carried clean water supplies, milk, baby formula, and blankets, was then collected by the NGO that organized the aid drive, the 'Diyarbakir Solidarity and Protection Platform' in southeast Turkey.
After being blocked last week, the convoy was initially allowed to travel through Azaz, a town in northern Syria, with their own delegation overseeing the delivery of aid.
However, "the delegation was again denied permission," the group said in a statement on Wednesday.
The trucks "were not allowed to cross into Kobani despite various efforts," he said, adding that "the aid was taken back to Diyarbakir."
Last week, residents of Kobani said they were running out of food, water and electricity as the city was flooded with people fleeing the Syrian army's offensive.
Kurdish forces accuse the Syrian army of besieging Kobani, also known as Ain Al-Arab in Arabic.
After months of conflict and a deadlock in the deal, Syria and the Syrian Kurds announced a deal to make peace last Friday.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)