JAKARTA - The White House on Tuesday said talks between the United States and Iran were still on schedule this week, following the US fighter jet shooting down an Iranian drone that approached the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) aircraft carrier in the Arabian Sea.
"I just spoke with special envoy (Steve) Witkoff, and these talks are still scheduled for now," Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters, adding that the talks would take place "this weekend," as reported by Al Arabiya from AFP (4/2).
"President Trump has always wanted to prioritize diplomacy first, but it is clear that cooperation from both parties is needed," Leavitt said outside the White House.
A meeting between Witkoff, an entrepreneur who has been appointed by President Trump as his global conflict negotiator, and Iranian officials "may" take place in Turkey, a source close to the matter told AFP.
Previously, the US military said a F-35C stealth fighter jet shot down an Iranian drone that "aggressively" approached the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier on Tuesday.
Trump's spokesman added that the White House leader still left open the possibility of military action against Iran, with a large number of US warships now in the region.
"Of course, the president always has a variety of options, and that includes the use of military force," Leavitt told Fox News in a separate interview.
He added, "the Iranians know more about it than anyone else," referring to the US military's attack on Iran's nuclear program last year.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)