JAKARTA - More than 100 children in the Gaza Strip have been killed since the ceasefire between the Palestinian militant group Hamas and Israel came into force in October last year, including children who died of hypothermia.
Six Palestinian children died of hypothermia in Gaza this winter, a UNICEF spokesperson said on Tuesday.
"We have again found children dying of hypothermia in recent days. So, now there have been six children who have died of hypothermia just in this winter," James Elder told reporters in Geneva via video link from Gaza, reported by Anadolu (14/1).
Furthermore, Elder revealed that more than 100 children have been killed since the ceasefire was imposed on October 10 last year.
"That's roughly one girl or boy killed here every day during the ceasefire," he said, adding "life in Gaza remains suffocating" and "survival remains conditional."
According to UNICEF, the confirmed figures indicate "60 boys and 40 girls were killed in the Gaza Strip," although Elder stressed that "the actual number of Palestinian children killed is estimated to be higher," because the count only reflects cases where sufficient details are available.
Furthermore, he explained, most of the deaths since the ceasefire was imposed were caused by military action.
"These children were killed by airstrikes, drone strikes, including suicide drones. They were killed by tank fire. They were killed by shrapnel," he said.
The spokesperson said that although the ceasefire had allowed some humanitarian progress, including the expansion of health, nutrition, water and sanitation services, the condition of children remained dire.
"A ceasefire that slows down the bombing is progress, but a ceasefire that still buries children is not enough," he said.
He called for a full implementation of the ceasefire, humanitarian access, and accountability, urging "real security" for Gaza's children.
As previously reported, the Ministry of Health in Gaza showed that the death toll from the Israeli attack in violation of the ceasefire in the Gaza Strip agreed upon three months ago reached 400 people, including many children, quoted from The National.
Around 40 percent of the 439 people killed in the Israeli offensive between the start of the ceasefire on October 10 and January 9 were children, the Gaza Health Ministry said.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)