JAKARTA - The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday announced the end of the outbreak of the latest Ebola virus disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, calling it "good news."
Congratulations to the government and people of the country, especially in the affected Bulape community, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press conference in Geneva, the outbreak, announced in September, recorded 64 confirmed and probable cases, including 45 deaths.
"We respect the memories of those who died, especially those who lost their lives while serving others," Tedros said, quoted by Anadolu (2/12).
Tedros said the WHO was "proud to have played our part in controlling this outbreak," in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, national institutions, and partners.
Reflecting on global progress, the WHO head noted a decade ago "no vaccine or therapy was approved" against Ebola, while currently the disease is "a preventable and treatable disease that can be stopped."
However, he warned another deadly virus is now spreading in the region.
"Although Ebola has been suspended in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, an outbreak of the Marburg virus disease has been announced in Ethiopia more than two weeks ago," he said.
SEE ALSO:
So far, Ethiopians have reported 12 confirmed cases, including eight related deaths, according to WHO. Three patients have recovered while one patient is still under treatment.
Tedros said the Ethiopian government was leading the response and the WHO provided support on request.
The UN health agency, he added, provided testing equipment, personal protective equipment for health workers, and deployed experts to assist local governments in efforts to contain the outbreak.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)