JAKARTA - The US Navy's newest aircraft carrier, originally to be named USS Enterprise, will be named Elon Musk and the main US President Donald Trump campaign donor.
Reported by ANTARA from Anadolu, Wednesday, April 2, the Gerald R. Ford class warship is scheduled to launch in November.
The ship will start operating in 2029, replacing the USS Total D. Eisenhower, named after a deceased World War general and the popular postwar president.
In contrast to tradition, this ship will be the first aircraft carrier to be named according to an adviser to the White House who is still in office, considering Musk is spearheading the US government's efficiency efforts "steps that have drawn strong reactions from the public."
The decision follows the draft "Make Shipbuilding Great Again," which aims to revitalize US Navy production amid growing concerns over the expansion of the Chinese fleet.
"In the past we built a lot of ships. Now we don't build much anymore, but we will build them very quickly, soon," Trump said.
The USS Musk will be equipped with a sophisticated electromagnetic aircraft launch system, in line with Musk's vision for electric-powered innovation.
However, the technology has faced criticism from Trump, who previously suggested returning to using a steam-powered catapult launch system.
"Digital technology spends hundreds of millions of dollars more and that's not good," Trump said in 2017.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)