JAKARTA - Human Rights Minister Natalius Pigai coordinated with the East Nusa Tenggara Provincial Government and regional authorities in Papua Mountains after an armed criminal group (KKB) carried out an attack in Anggruk District, Yahukimo Regency, Papua Mountains.

"I have communicated directly with the Governor of NTT and the authorities in the Papua Mountains area to ensure the handling of the victims after this incident is well, including those who are injured so that they can be handled optimally," Pigai said in a statement quoted by ANTARA, Monday, March 24.

Pigai regretted the incident and expressed his condolences to the death toll. He also asked the government to ensure better protection efforts against civilians so that similar incidents do not happen again.

"We deeply regret this incident and share our condolences with the families of the victims for this incident in Yahukimo. Civil society, however, must be protected, especially in vulnerable areas, such as Yahukimo," he said.

Previously, the Cenderawasih XVII Military Command stated that the KKB attacked a school in Anggruk District, Yahukimo Regency, Friday (21/3). This action left one person dead and six others injured.

According to the Ministry of Human Rights, of the seven victims who were attacked, six of them came from NTT and one from Sorong, Southwest Papua. The victims consisted of six teachers and one health worker.

Meanwhile, Yahukimo Regent Didimus Yahuli when contacted by ANTARA from Jayapura, Sunday (23/3), said that the victim who died was a woman who works as a teacher.

According to Didimus, the security forces have evacuated the victims and civilians in the area. He said the injured victims were already at Marthen Indey Hospital for treatment.

Commander of the Rajawali II Task Force Koops TNI Habema Kogabwilhan III Lieutenant Colonel Infantry Gustiawan stated that his party succeeded in evacuating seven victims on Sunday. The evacuation was carried out with tight security because Anggruk District is still vulnerable.

"Our team had to face heavy terrain and potential disturbances from armed groups, but thanks to good coordination, the victim's body was successfully taken to Dekai Airport, Yahukimo Regency, for further identification," said Gustiawan as quoted in Jakarta.

Seven victims who were evacuated, among others, were Rosalina who was found dead with pathetic injuries due to violence; three victims with serious injuries, namely Vidi, Cosmas, and Tari; and three other victims suffered minor injuries, namely Vanti, Paskala, and Irmawati.


The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)