JAKARTA - The Ministry of Health said it was still conducting a study on the impact of problems in funding from the United States (US) while waiting for the US to issue an official policy submitted to other countries through official diplomatic channels.
Head of the Communication and Public Information Bureau of the Ministry of Health, Aji Muhawarman, said the United States and the World Health Organization (WHO) both played an important role in a more resilient global health architecture, especially after COVID-19.
"Bilaterally, the two countries (Indonesia and USA) have close cooperation in the health sector, especially in handling infectious diseases such as TB. In terms of business relations as well as robustness, where Indonesia supports the expansion of American pharmaceutical manufacturing investment in Indonesia," Aji said as quoted by ANTARA, Friday, February 7.
He considered, scientifically and ethically, it is better to continue collaborating with both of them and any party, especially in overcoming global health challenges together. According to him, cooperation with the US in the health sector is quite close and significant to continue.
Indonesia hopes that bilateral collaboration with the United States in the health sector can be maintained in the handling of infectious diseases, health emergency preparedness and expansion of American manufacturing cooperation in Indonesia.
On the other hand, he ensured, Indonesia will continue to support the role of WHO, the world health organization with the largest membership, in responding to global health challenges.
"Another thing, we also follow the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which is still waiting for an official stance through diplomatic channels from the USA government to other countries regarding the issue," he said.
Previously, the 47th President of the United States Donald Trump announced that he withdrew the US from WHO membership. In addition, Donald also officially closed the USAID on Monday (3/2).
Minister of Health (Menkes) Budi Gunadi Sadikin said in Jakarta, Thursday (6/2) he would try to find other countries to become donors, following the closure of USAID.
Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Rolliansyah Roy Soemirat said any policy taken by the US, and all other Indonesian partner countries, was carried out with careful consideration and mutual respect for their respective countries.
Roy also believes that if the policies taken have a certain impact, this can be discussed together so that the two countries involved will not suffer heavy losses due to the policy.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)