JAKARTA - A number of senior Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) officers were fired on Sunday, while others received warnings for failing to prevent an attack by a Palestinian militant group led by Hamas on October 7, 2023.
A number of officers were told they would be disabled from reserve duty and would no longer serve in the military, the military said in a statement.
Others were given an official warning, while one person was told that their term of office was coming to an end. Others submitted their resignations.
Those told they would be disabled from reserve duties including the former head of the intelligence directorate, the directorate of operations and the southern command, in charge of Gaza. The generals had previously resigned from active service, but were still on reserve duty.
The Israeli military "failed in its main mission on October 7 to protect Israeli citizens," said Israeli Chief of Staff Defense Forces (IDF) Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir.
"This is a severe and shocking systemic failure, related to decisions and behavior the night before and during the event. Lessons from that day are numerous and significant, and those lessons should be our compass for the future that I want to lead [Israeli military]," he said. , reported Al Arabiya from Reuters November 24.
These latest disciplinary steps were taken as Israeli officials faced growing public pressure over accountability for the failures that led to the attack.
It is known that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Government has not opened a national investigation into the October 7 attack.
Meanwhile, thousands of protesters joined opposition leaders in Tel Aviv on Saturday night demanding the creation of a state investigation commission.
SEE ALSO:
The October 7 attacks by Hamas and other Palestinian factions killed about 1,200 people in Israel and caused about 250 people to be held hostage, according to Israeli tallies.
The attack sparked an Israeli land and air campaign in Gaza, which has destroyed much of the enclave, left 69,756 Palestinians dead and 170,946 injured according to health authorities, quoted from WAFA.
Israel and Hamas reached a ceasefire agreement brokered by the United States and came into force on October 10, as part of the first phase of the plan to end the war.
The English, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and French versions are automatically generated by the AI. So there may still be inaccuracies in translating, please always see Indonesian as our main language. (system supported by DigitalSiber.id)