BoP Says Hamas' Rejection of Its Weapons Is a Major Obstacle
JAKARTA - The Peace Council (BoP) has warned in its first report to the UN Security Council that Hamas' refusal to disarm remains a major obstacle to reconstruction and a broader political settlement in the Gaza Strip, Palestine.
The report said the militant group that previously ruled Gaza refused to "accept verified disarmament, relinquish coercive control, and allow for a genuine civilian transition".
The Peace Council called on the 15 members of the Security Council to reiterate "publicly, clearly, and consistently" that disarmament in Gaza is essential under UN Resolution 2803 and for "the timely withdrawal of Israeli forces, and a credible path towards self-determination and the establishment of a Palestinian state to be pursued," reported The National (20/5).
The council also urged the council to "use all means at its disposal" to pressure Hamas and other Palestinian factions to accept the proposed road map "without further delay".
Furthermore, the council also called for unhindered humanitarian access throughout Gaza, the predictable operation of the Rafah border crossing, and the acceleration of international funding for reconstruction and humanitarian efforts.
Conditions remain dire for Gaza's more than two million residents, many of whom live in tents with limited access to food, water, and medical care.
The report, dated May 15 and circulated by US Ambassador to the UN Mike Waltz, is expected to be discussed by the Security Council on Thursday during a meeting on the Middle East.
The report said the ceasefire had largely held for seven months despite "almost daily" violations, some of them serious.
"Its humanitarian consequences - civilians killed, families living in fear, and the continued obstruction of humanitarian access - cannot be underestimated," the report said.
Israel continues to carry out airstrikes in Gaza despite a ceasefire and has expanded its control over the territory beyond the areas allocated under the agreement.
In addition, the cost of reconstruction in Gaza is estimated to exceed 30 billion US dollars, according to the report, citing the World Bank's estimate that the total recovery needs could reach 71.4 billion US dollars over the next decade.
So far, the DoP has secured 17 billion US dollars in the form of pledges and warned that the promised funding for Gaza must be disbursed immediately, as delays hinder relief work.
The council urged countries and organizations outside the framework of the Peace Council to provide financial support for the reconstruction of Gaza without further delay.