Israeli Command Forces Raid Global Sumud Flotilla Ship, Foreign Ministry: Protecting Indonesian Citizens is the Indonesian Government's Priority

JAKARTA - The Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs ensures the protection of Indonesian citizens (WNI) is a top priority, in line with the military attack on ships belonging to the Global Sumud Flotilla.

Spokesperson for the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Yvonne Mewengkang, said in a written statement that his party "strongly condemns the actions of the Israeli military, which has intercepted a number of ships belonging to the international humanitarian mission Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0 around the waters of Cyprus, Eastern Mediterranean."

Yvonne said at least 10 boats were confirmed to have been arrested, including the Amanda, Barbaros, Josef and Blue Toys.

"Based on information from the Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI), on the Josef ship it was informed that there was an Indonesian citizen (WNI) in the name of Andi Angga Prasadewa who was a delegate from GPCI - Rumah Zakat," explained Yvonne in a written statement as quoted Monday (18/5).

Meanwhile, "the ship carrying journalist Bambang Noroyono is still being tried to be contacted to find out the status of the ship, including Bambang Noroyono on the ship," he continued.

Israel intercepted a flotilla of aid bound for the Gaza Strip on Monday after sailing from Turkey last week, with organizers saying one of the ships was stopped off the coast of Cyprus.

"Military ships are currently intercepting our fleet and IDF forces are currently boarding our first ship in broad daylight," Global Sumud Flotilla wrote on X, Al Arabiya reported from AFP.

The latest Global Sumud fleet is the third initiative in a year aimed at breaking Israel's blockade of Gaza, which has suffered severe shortages of food, water, medicine and fuel since the Israel-Hamas war broke out in October 2023.

The fleet, consisting of 50 ships, sailed from Turkey on Thursday last week. Previously, a similar fleet was intercepted by Israel last month. Last year, a similar fleet was also intercepted by Israel.

The Editor-in-Chief of Republika in his written statement explained that two of his journalists, Bambang Noroyono and Thoudy Badai, were included in the nine Indonesian citizens who were on the Global Sumud Flotilla this time.

GPCI itself in its official statement last week said that the nine Indonesian citizens who were part of this humanitarian mission, namely, Ust. Herman Budianto Sudarsono and Ronggo Wirasanu on the Zapyro ship, Andi Angga Prasadewa on the Josef ship, As'ad Aras Muhammad on the Kasr-1 ship, Hendro Prasetyo on the Kasr-1 ship, Bambang Noroyono on the BoraLize ship, Thoudy Badai Rifan Billah on the Ozgurluk ship, Andre Prasetyo Nugroho on the RIM ship, and Rahendro Herubowo on the Ozgurluk ship.

"The Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs urges Israel to immediately release all detained international humanitarian missions and ensure the continuation of the distribution of humanitarian aid to the Palestinian people in accordance with international humanitarian law," said Yvonne.

The diplomat, who served at the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Indonesia to the United Nations in New York from 2013 to 2016, added that from the beginning his party through the Directorate of Protection of Indonesian Citizens "has coordinated with the Indonesian Embassy in Ankara, the Indonesian Embassy in Cairo, and the Indonesian Embassy in Amman to prepare anticipatory steps to ensure their safety and accelerate the repatriation process."

"The Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs also continues to communicate with various parties concerned to obtain the latest information regarding the condition of Indonesian citizens, as well as preparing contingency measures, including facilitating protection and accelerating the repatriation process if necessary," explained Yvonne.

On the other hand, Israel on Monday vowed to block the ships in the fleet, the Israeli authorities denied claims of a lack of aid, saying that the Palestinian territory was "flooded" with supplies.

The Times of Israel reported that the Israeli Navy had intercepted the humanitarian mission with Israeli naval commandos boarding the first ship in the waters off Cyprus. At least 16 ships were reportedly intercepted as of Monday afternoon.