Tottenham Appoints Roberto De Zerbi as Igor Tudor's Replacement, but is Immediately Opposed by Supporters

JAKARTA - The former Marseille manager, who has been unemployed since leaving the French club in February 2026, joined Tottenham Hotspur - who are struggling to avoid relegation in the English League, just one point ahead of the bottom three teams in the standings.

Launching ESPN, the deal with the Italian coach includes a large bonus to keep the club in the English League. It is currently unclear whether there are provisions made for the club's potential relegation.

"I am delighted to join this fantastic football club, which is one of the biggest and most prestigious clubs in the world."

"In all my discussions with the club's leadership, their ambition for the future is clear - to build a team capable of achieving great achievements and doing so with a style of football that excites and inspires our supporters."

"I'm here because I believe in that ambition and have signed a long-term contract to give everything to make it a reality."

"Our short-term priority is to climb the English League table, which will be the main focus until the final whistle of the last game of the season."

"I hope to be able to train on the field soon and work with these players to achieve that goal," De Zerbi said in a club statement.

Tottenham's sporting director, Johan Lange, said that De Zerbi was on their list of coaches.

"Roberto was our main target in the summer. We are very happy to have him now. He is one of the most creative and forward-thinking coaches in football."

"He brings with him a wealth of experience at the highest level, including in the English League," said Johan Lange.

Meanwhile, the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust (THST) issued a statement expressing concern over the appointment due to De Zerbi's support for Mason Greenwood.

Greenwood has been charged with one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour, and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm in October 2022.

However, the Attorney General's Office canceled the indictment in February 2023 after a key witness resigned and new material was revealed.

"While we understand the limited number of managers with recent Premier League experience and the need to act quickly as Spurs face the prospect of relegation, this appointment raises serious and widespread concerns."

"Many supporters have contacted us to urge us to communicate the strength of these feelings. We conveyed this concern directly to the Club before the announcement."

"The club has previously committed to opposing cases of violence against women and girls and to acting with integrity and upholding its values when faced with any incident."

"De Zerbi's comments about Mason Greenwood are unnecessary, unwise and deeply offensive to a large number of supporters."

"Without a doubt, it will make male victims of violence feel worried. We believe these statements, if left unchecked, will create division among supporters at a time when we all need to unite to support the team."

"It is very worrying that the club put us in this position just when the team needs the supporters the most."

"The supporters support the initiative "Together, Always" and this appointment puts a heavy burden on the union."

"If these statements reflect his sincere views, they cast a worrying shadow over the values of the club we love."

"Clubs must reaffirm their commitment to the values upheld by supporters - foremost among which are equality, respect and integrity."

"All forms of sympathy felt for the alleged perpetrators of physical or sexual violence against women basically undermine confidence in the leadership of this club," said the THST statement.

De Zerbi's first assignment is a visit to Sunderland in the English League on April 12, 2026.