Atletico Madrid Surprised by Club Brugge, Negative Record Continues

JAKARTA - The first leg of the Champions League playoff was completed on Thursday, February 19, 2026. Many surprises occurred, including in the Club Brugge vs Atletico Madrid match.

From the results that have been presented, it is difficult to determine who has a big chance to grab a ticket to the 16th round.

Most recently, Atletico Madrid was surprised by host Club Brugge. Christos Tzolis' goal for the Belgian team in the 89th minute ensured a 3-3 draw.

The visitors looked to be cruising after goals from Julian Alvarez - his 12th in 18 Champions League games - and Ademola Lookman in the first-half injury time gave them a comfortable lead.

Alvarez scored from the penalty spot in the eighth minute after Joaquin Seys was controversially adjudged to have touched the ball with his hand as it fell from height.

Seconds before the break, Antoine Griezmann greeted a corner that curved into the net and Lookman gave the final touch on the far post.

After that, Los Rojiblancos wasted a two-goal lead. Six minutes into the second half, Oblak was only able to stop Nicolo Tresoldi's header from the corner before the ball was kicked by Onyedika.

Brugge equalised in the 60th minute when Mamadou Diakhon's cross from the left wing was converted at the near post by Tresoldi.

Alexander Sorloth's effort hit the crossbar with a header before Ordonez - under pressure from the Norwegian striker - deflected Marcos Llorente's cross into his own net with just 11 minutes remaining.

The suicide goal seemed to have given Atletico Madrid an important advantage ahead of the second leg at the Metropolitano. However, Tzolis punished the visitors again at the end of the game.

Raphael Onyedika, who had sparked the hosts' revival, set up Tzolis to shoot past goalkeeper Jan Oblak. A VAR check confirmed he was in an onside position.

The result clearly put Los Rojiblancos under pressure. Diego Simeone's team's defensive problems in the Champions League continue.

"This game was exactly what we expected. They are probably the toughest opponents we have faced in the Champions League, they are very young."

"We knew this wouldn't be an easy game. We controlled the first half. With the score 2-1, they came back into the game."

"We didn't attack like we did in the first half. They equalised to 2-2, and we got ahead again, then the last goal happened, which was a misinterpretation of how we should defend," said Diego Simeone.

Atletico Madrid have not recorded a clean sheet in the Champions League this season. Meanwhile, the result against Club Brugge was the third time they conceded three goals or more, conceding 15 goals in seven matches so far.

"The game is 90 minutes, not 45. We reacted well to their two goals. I leave with the feeling that the team competed very well against an opponent who is not easy to beat here."

"In the first half, we felt we played well, but the context of the game showed that it was a fair draw."

"Both teams have the opportunity to score. The second leg will be played at home," said Simeone.

Atletico Madrid will host Club Brugge in the second leg at the Riyadh Air Metropolitano next week.