Egypt Urges UN DK Resolution For The Establishment Of Peacekeeping Missions In Gaza

JAKARTA - Egypt urged the United Nations Security Council's resolution "as soon as possible" to form peacekeeping forces in Gaza, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said.

In an interview with The National at Aswan Foreign Minister Abdelatty, he explained the foundation of the International Stabilization Forces (ISF) and the main mandate of the proposed Peace Council, namely monitoring the flow of aid funds.

However, he said it was "unacceptable if foreign parties" were to carry out Gaza, and emphasized the mission of the troops and the Peace Council should provide support for Palestine to carry out their own affairs.

"First of all, we need to have a Security Council resolution as soon as possible to support this plan and also to provide legitimacy for this ISF, the International Stabilization Forces, and to identify its own mandate and mission," Foreign Minister Abdelatty told The National as quoted October 21.

"This is very, very important," he stressed, adding Egypt "ready to participate in all formats, but with certain parameters" to be detailed in the Security Council resolution through "clear mandate".

Previous sources told The National that Cairo is expected to lead Gaza's stabilization force consisting of four countries, consisting of at least 4,000 troops from Egypt, Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Indonesia.

The sources said it had been decided that the troops would not have heavy weapons and would rely on light weapons and armored vehicles. These troops will initially be deployed in areas that have been withdrawn by the Israeli military based on the first phase of the US President Donald Trump's plan.

"The mission should maintain peace, not uphold peace," said Foreign Minister Abdelatty.

He explained that the troops and the Peace Council Trump will lead, along with other politicians such as former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, must also help provide basic services to the people in Gaza and support for police officers through training and capacity development.

"Of course it will not be acceptable if foreigners manage Gaza," he added.

Foreign Minister Abdelatty further said the Peace Council was here to provide support, coordinate with Israel, and "monitor the flow of money and funds for humanitarian aid and reconstruction of Gaza".

"This money will come from donors, and they have full rights to ensure there is a monitoring and monitoring mechanism where the money will be spent," he said.

Although the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement has been largely implemented, the situation on the ground is still complex. Attention is now shifting to a second phase, which will focus on disbanding Hamas, ensuring Israel's full withdrawal, and determining Gaza's governance, but fears of a ceasefire have emerged in recent days.

Israel and Hamas accuse each other of violating the deal. At least 44 people were killed in dozens of Israeli airstrikes in Gaza on Sunday, destroying a relatively calm week since the ceasefire was announced.

Israel said the series of attacks were triggered by Hamas militants who opened fire and anti-tank missiles towards its troops in Rafah, southern Gaza. The attack was denied by the Palestinian militant group. The Israeli military said two soldiers were killed.

It is feared that this condition could thwart the deal mediated by Egypt, Qatar, Turkey, and the United States.

"The challenge does exist, but the most important thing is that both sides fulfill their commitments, and most importantly, maintain America's involvement. That's why we communicate every day with them," said Foreign Minister Abdelatty.