58 People Shot-8 Killed Over The Weekend In Chicago, Trump Deploys National Guard

JAKARTA - It was reported that 58 people were shot, eight of whom were killed, in Chicago, United States, over the weekend of Labor Day, including an attack from a car that injured seven victims.

This violent weekend holiday comes as President Donald Trump again threatens to send federal agents and National Guard troops to Chicago despite Illinois Governor JB Pritzker and Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson object.

"Chicago is the worst and most dangerous city in the world so far. Pritzker is in dire need of help, he just hasn't realized it yet. I will solve the crime problem quickly, as I did in DC. Chicago will be safe again, and soon," Trump wrote on his social media platform on Tuesday, September 2 local time.

He highlighted gun violence in Chicago over the weekend holidays and repeated previous statements that federal intervention was needed to fight crime.

At a press conference at the White House on Tuesday, Trump said he had made the decision to send National Guard troops to Chicago.

"We will enter," Trump said, refusing to say when National Guard troops would arrive in Chicago.

Meanwhile, Pritzker, Democratic politician, called Trump's statement "absurd."

"No, I will not call the president, ask him to send troops to Chicago. I have confirmed that," said Pritzker, who attended a press conference with Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson.

Citing information he obtained about Trump's plans from "unauthorized patriotic officials within the government" and "from news reporters with trusted sources", Pritzker said the president would "mass armed military personnel to the streets of Chicago."

"In the coming days, we hope to see what has happened in Los Angeles and Washington, DC, will happen here in Chicago," said Pritzker.

He believes Trump has begun placing federal agents and military vehicles on federal property for deployment of troops in Chicago.