Russia Condemns Israeli Attack On Syrian Defense Ministry In Damascus

JAKARTA - Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Kemlu) denounces Israeli airstrikes in Syria as a violation of state sovereignty and international law.

"The new violent wave in Syria is very concerning," the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement quoted by Reuters on Thursday, July 17.

The Russian side has repeatedly condemned the use of Israel's arbitrary force in Syria. These attacks, which are a gross violation of state sovereignty and international law, should be strongly condemned.

"We believe that the way to solve this problem lies through dialogue and strengthening national unity," continued the Russian Foreign Ministry.

As previously reported, a devastating airstrike rocked Damascus targeting the Ministry of Defense on Wednesday.

Israel vowed to destroy Syrian government forces attacking the Druze community in southern Syria and demanded them withdraw.

The Israeli military had previously announced an attack on the gates of the Ministry of Defense. Shortly before the big explosion, Israel's Defense Minister Katz said "a painful blow is coming".

Dozens of people have been killed this week in violence around the southern city of Sweida, who pitted fighters from the Druze minority against government security forces and members of the Bedouin, prompting Israel to attack repeatedly with the aim of protecting Druze.

The violence demonstrates the major challenges facing interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa despite the warming relations with the United States in his efforts to reunite Syria amid deep concerns from groups that reject Islamic rule.

Syrian government forces were dispatched to the Sweida region on Monday to defuse fighting between fighters Druze and the Bedouin armed group, but eventually clashed with the Druze militia itself.

Druze is a religious adherent who is a sect of Islam and spread across Syria, Lebanon and Israel. Druze in Israel has asked the Israeli military to protect Druze in Syria.

A spiritual leader Druze said Tuesday his community was targeted by a barbaric attack by government forces.

The government said the banned gangs were responsible for the violence.

Earlier, security sources at the Syrian Ministry of Defense told Reuters at least two drone strikes had hit the building.